Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Joining Facebook

Well, after having a multitude of people and friends invite me to join as their friend, and another multitude of friends harrassing me to join, I joined. I kept asking my friends, "Why should I join?" They said, "Oh, you have to; to keep in touch with your friends and what they're doing." But, I don't have many friends. I only have one-hand full, if that many. And, of course, my family. They try to stay away from me. But, it's difficult for them, what with my sending them e-mails every hour on the half hour saying things like, "You don't love me, do you? You neber kall, or write. I'm so berri, berri sad." What can they do? They pacify me so that I'll leave them alone for a little while longer.

So, I ask my friends, "What am I going to do on Facebook? I don't have anything to contribute, so why am I joining it?" They say, "Oh, you'll find out what they're doing." Couldn't I just call them? And, no, I don't mean on my cell. I've still held out and have not succumbed to that yet. Although, plenty of people are putting pressure on me to do that also. Another friend says, "You don't have to do everything at once. Every now and then you can check in."

So, after hearing a pile of whining and cajoling to get on Facebook, and receiving a hundreth invitation to join so that I can see her photos, I skeptically, and quite unhappily, go and join Facebook. Luckily, I joined it from my home address and not that of work. Or else, I would have had to quit my job, just so that I could take the time to respond to my supposed friends on FB.

So, I write in a fictitious name (I read on the rules later, by the way, that that's not allowed on FB), a bogus birthday and try to write something really ass fresco in the location area, but the system won't allow me (surprise, surprise).

I get home tonight. I log on. And there are a multitude of e-mails, either accepting my friendship, or requesting affirmation of who I am so that they can make a determination as to whether they will allow me to be their friend. And then, mysteriously, an array of other names and photos pop up on my screen, giving me yet further availability to MORE friends. I don't know who half of these people are. I've sat here for TWO HOURS!!! Becoming friends. "Oh, please, please, be my friend. I'll be so happy if you will be. I have nothing to add to this FB, so therefore no interesting new stuff for you to look at, but pweeeeeeese, won't you please be my friend. My rear end hurts, I've done nothing but plead for two hours. And, the funny thing is that the last friend who triggered my letting go of my convictions (of not joining) is not even on my screen after I join. Then, I finally search her out through a friend, of another friend. Turns out that she hasn't made a determination yet as to whether to befriend me or not. So, I've not seen her photos.

I'm so glad I joined. Is there a way to unjoin?

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. This is utterly inspired crap. A Facebook comic stand-up (sit-down?) routine in the making. Now we know why there is a streamofconchiness.com. And a Facebook.

    Conchi Nocrala indeed. Certainly not Conchi Nocrapa.

    Love!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I was coerced to change my last name to a more appropriate one on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, well, well......I'm so glad to hear you're lightening up, acting youthful and joining all us kids on Facebook.....for a while I thought those old lawyers you hang out with were making you old and stuffy. Whew!

    Michael

    ReplyDelete