Monday, November 2, 2020

Some Dangers of Lugging Around Too Much Stuff

 So, our wonderful Halloween Outlaw Jam was over and I was still carrying all the stuff that I amassed that I thought would be needed at that jam.  More on that jam in a different post (still to be drafted).

I had stayed over at Von TH's apartment (guru of outlaw jams).  In fact, I lightened my load a bit by leaving a tiny bit at his place.  Hence, leaving my remote lights at his apartment for him to use and enjoy in the pumpkins.

So, off we both went to our Sunday jam.  In the pouring rain.  A new location, I know not where.  And the worries of finding a close-by parking spot.  I had no umbrella with me as I already had had enough stuff to carry, and the day before had not been raining.  Luckily, we found a parking spot near enough.

So, off we went in the pouring rain, looking for this new jam location.  We were right by the West Side Highway, and it really wasn't apparent where this new venue was located.  I put a hat on, my only protection.  Von TH had an umbrella that he needed for his electronic equipment.  There we were, sloshing through puddles, wet leaves, stairs, with Von TH dragging his musical dolly down the steps and getting the wheels stuck in niches in the stairs.  Ooops, we went the wrong way.  Then we crossed in the middle of the street (illegally, I must say) and got to the other side.  Cars whoosing from the WSH and the opposite direction too.  Ooops!!  Once again we realized that we were not walking the correct way.  We went under several tunnels (both with habitants in them).  Finally, I thought we were giving up and returning to the car.  But, no.  Von TH realized the only logical way to get to this venue and led the way.

Luckily, this entrance had a ramp.  No more stairs for the musical dolly.  And, at the bottom, we were greeted by bluegrass music wafting toward us.  Ah, how nice.

So, we situated ourselves with the others.  Everyone was backlit, so I scooted over to the other side and had my back to the river, so that I could see everyone.  Nice.  I could also see that there was a person sleeping at the edge of the space, all wrapped up with blankets.

I had already decided that I was not going to get my music stand out and my Kindle for song leading.  I had too much stuff with me.  And, the area we were in was very dark.  Plus, it would get darker the later we stayed.  Hence, it would be problematic collecting all my stuff in the dark.  There is always the danger of leaving some small overlooked item in the dark.

So, the jam was very good.  Good musicians, good song leaders, etc.  When it came my turn to lead, I tried to choose songs that I had memorized.  The lyrics to certain verses left my mind on one of the songs, and one of the musicians helped with that.  

At some point I became very warm and removed my long coat which was quite wet from the rain.  And, I just used a small thin wool jacket.  But, after more than an hour, it started cooling off and I became chilly.  Back on went the wet coat over the wool jacket.

After about three hours of jamming, and about only 4 hours of sleep, I decided I was just about ready to leave.  I checked in with Von TH, and he was also ready to leave.  Then I started packing up my guitar and all my things in the large shopping bag I had.  I went through an elaborate scenario with the flashlight on my cell phone checking the floor to make sure I had recovered all my stuff.  I felt secure that I had.  And, before we left the cave-like venue, I asked Von TH if he had everything.  We did a check list of all his stuff.  He seemed to have all of his belongings.  We left, and back up the ramp we went.  It was very dark at this point at 5:30pm (the first day after clocks were turned back one hour).  We got to Riverside Drive and Von TH said his goodbyes and headed over to his parked car. I headed to the #1 subway on 79th Street.

I got to the station and swiped my new MTA annual card (it worked -- Yay!) and squeezed through with my humongous shopping bag.  I walked to the back of the train to position myself properly for my exit at Times Square.  And, there was the #1 train.  Yay!!!  Wonders never cease. Got on and it wasn't crowded.  A second yay!!  So, I'm quite comfy sitting and texted Von TH that I was on the #1, as is our custom to do. The trip to Times Square was uneventful.  I got out at Times Square and was right at the stairs leading to my N/R train ramp.  Up the stairs I go and headed over to the stairs leading to the N train.  Wow, this trip is going very nicely I think to myself.

As I was putting my foot on the first step to go down this flight, a thought flashed through my mind.  Don't ask me what triggered that thought because I don't know.  "Where's my guitar?  No, this is impossible.  I'm imagining it."  I reached up to feel for the case straps, but they weren't there!!  I was thinking, "this is impossible.  It can't be!!  How in the world could I have left without my guitar in its case?"  I now realized that it is true.  I don't have my guitar with me.  I only have the huge shopping bag and my purse.  "Oh, NO!!!!!"  My entire system went into total high alert.  I swerved around nearly banging into the people behind me and then headed back to the #1 train platform, nearly mowing everyone down in my way.  I got my cell phone out because I realized that I needed to contact one of the musicians back at the venue quickly to alert them to it so they wouldn't leave and leave my guitar there.  But, of course, the MTA was at it's best -- *do you want to connect to this wifi?*  NOOooooooooo!!!!   Cancel, cancel.  By the time I was able to cancel all those MTA questions, and enter my text to one of them, there was no connection.  And, I had also just missed a #1 train as a result.  I think I texted Von TH first, with the thought that he might drive back and retrieve my guitar before it was too late.  I also noticed that the local train track was closed up with all sorts of construction and lines of boundary ropes.  For crying out loud.  I don't need this now.  So, does that mean that there are no local trains at this station?  Only express trains? While I wait for the next train, I frantically try either e-mailing or texting the other musicians who had been there when I left.  Of course, none of these messages are being transmitted because I don't have any connection at this point.  

The train finally comes.  I assume it's an express, but I don't care.  I jump on it.   I continue to frantically draft up more messages to the others.  Thus far, the messages have not yet transmitted.  Finally, I hear back from the jam organizer.  His response?  "You'll find it."  Well, that's a highly positive response, but it means he left and knows nothing about a guitar left behind.  This is definitely not good.

When I reach the express 72nd street station, I notice that we are on the local track and wonder if the express train is making local stops.  I ask one of the passengers "is this making local stops?"  He answers, "no.  it is making express stops."  I'm about to get out, but now I notice that the train is a #1 train, not a #2 express train.  Another man points out the stops to me and shows me that this train will stop at 79th Street.  My brain is definitely not operating properly.  Luckily I stayed on the train and jump out at the next (79th St.) stop.  

It is 6pm.  Half an hour since I left there.  I rush back to the jam venue in the dark.  After having walked all around the area earlier with Von TH, I'm not totally sure how to approach the jam venue.  It's dark, but I don't care.  I continue along the path that I think is the correct one.  It's dark and creepy.  Anyone could easily assault me.  But, I don't care.  My guitar is utmost in my mind.  I go around the bend where the highway is.  It is isolated and dark.  Ah, there is the ramp.  Off I go on the ramp.  I try not to run down the ramp lest I slip and fall and cause a new problem.  So, I reach the bottom, and as I thought, there is NO ONE there any longer.

I go to the spot where I had left it and alas it is totally bereft of anything.  I get out my cell phone and turn on the flashlight and start combing the area with my flashlight.  Nothing.  I even went so far as to go to the cave resident sleeping under the blankets.  Could that person have seen the guitar and pulled it over to themselves as a new asset?  There is nothing in the area.  I just stand there in the dark totally dismayed.  I had hoped that I would be lucky and find it still there.  But nay, how could I luck out like that?  People take things.  And, it only takes a second to happen.  I wonder if anyone will be kind enough to try to find out who the guitar belongs to and contact me.  But, I'm not very hopeful about that happening.

I head back to the subway, dragging my feet, pretty much in total depression.  I get to the #1 subway at 79th St. and walk down the stairs.  I'm not sure if I reached the very bottom of the landing, or if I was one step before the landing.  But suddenly I fell down on the floor right in a large puddle of water and filth onto my left hip.  Now, I am all wet and dirty.  There was a guy at the toll window, but he didn't see me.  That's fine.  I don't want to talk to anyone right now.  I swipe and enter and walk to the very end.  The #1 train eventually comes and I get on.  I'm desperately looking at my phone to see if anyone has responded to me and maybe has some good news for me.  But, no.  I do have a new one from one of the musicians, but he says he left before us (I think he was still there, but obviously he didn't see my guitar).  Another guy didn't see my e-mail until much later.

I get back to Times Square and by this time I'm really feeling the loss deeply.  This is my beloved guitar.  It may not be the most expensive guitar out there.  But I've had it for a very long time, and I can play it.  By the time I get back to Times Square and start climbing the same stairs that I climbed a half hour ago, I tell myself that I need to deal with this.  Am I going to let this break me?  I shouldn't.  I can live past this.  I can replace the guitar with the same one that I just lost.  But...the big but...will it play the same way.  There are different manufacturers and I'll bet no two guitars are ever exact.  Then I decide to run a mental inventory of what was in that case along with the guitar.  Well, inside it were: 

  • two rechargeable music stand lights in there 

  • a string  cleaner

  • a string winder 

  • a song book.  Is there anything there that I can't replace?  Yes, there are songs and marked up songs that are not replaceable. 

  • My Kindle (which has all sorts of imported formatted songs on it).  I also use it as my alarm clock in the morning.

  • my tuner 

  • my capo 

  • my chord book 

  • my entire stock of both professional Dunlop guitar picks and two boxes of my personal hole-punched picks 

  • my guitar practice gloves (a pair) that I just recently purchased 

  • a pair of compression gloves (that I bought even more recently than the practice gloves) 

  • my music  stand  

  • the case itself (which is a new purchase)

This list is getting exceedingly long.  Not only do I have to work emotionally past the loss of my guitar, but it's going to cost me a considerable amount to just replace the other items in the case.  And some I can't ever replace.

I just drag my feet to the N train station.  My train finally arrives and I listlessly get on it.  I'm no longer berating myself for leaving it there.  You can't begin to imagine all the names I called myself.  I am almost home when I get an e-mail from one of the musicians.  He tells me that he found my guitar, thought it was mine and has it and will keep it safe for me.  I am totally happy to get this e-mail.  But, my mood has become so desperate and low that it's hard to feel elated all of a sudden.

I am totally happy that I have an angel who is holding my guitar.  But my spent disposition is now holding me back from total cheerfulness.  Even though I have made plans to pick up the guitar two days later, I am still feeling the loss a day later. Hence why I am writing this post to purge myself of any negative feelings at this point.

Have you ever had some unfortunate thing happen to you where you thought to yourself, "If this bad situation resolves itself, I will promise to do, blah, blah, blah (whatever it might be).  I haven't done that yet this time, but I have in the past. And, I have stuck to my promises.  I will think of something good to do in this event.  I just haven't thought about what it should be yet.

So, tomorrow I will once again reunite with my guitar.  My baby.

I find that when people carry more packages than they usually carry, there is the risk of leaving one behind.  I don't know why.  But, I have seen this happen with others and it has happened to me.

I went dancing one time.  And when I do, I tend to bring all my dance gear with me to work and go straight from work.  So, I have numerous bags.  So, I changed into my dance shoes and then checked everything else at the check-in counter, including my purse.  When I was finished dancing and ready to leave, I retrieved all my stuff from the check-in counter and sat down to change back into my street shoes.  I collected all my stuff and left for the subway, which was four blocks away.  I went to get my MTA card and realized I didn't have my purse.  I literally ran all the way back to the dance venue and *luckily* found my purse still under the chair where I had changed into street shoes.

It happens a lot when you have multiple packages.  So, you have to have extra special care in those instances.

As a bonus to my carelessness, my left shoulder is in total pain from the humongous shopping bag that I carried on my shoulder.  It feels like it is dislocated.

Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment